Monday 8 May 2017

The Apple Orchard by Veronica Henry

The Apple OrchardThe Apple Orchard by Veronica Henry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In the charming town of Peasebrook, there's a place for everyone. War vet Joe has made new friends and a new home for himself here, overlooking a beautiful apple orchard. But when tragedy strikes and Joe is left out in the cold, it will bring them all together in entirely unexpected ways . . .

The Apple Orchard is a truly feel-good short story about friendship and kindness. It's the perfect introduction to Veronica Henry and includes an extract of her upcoming novel The Forever House.



When I downloaded this I am not sure what I was expecting, although reading other Henry novels I thought it would be chick lity and a lovely read. Don't get me wrong this was a lovely read, just not what I was expecting.

This is a very short story, most of it is a sample of her new book which I believe follows on from this. I found this story very moving and it did bring me to tears, I did enjoy the story more than I thought I would, however I think it was almost too short and that the characters were wasted. I would like to have learnt more about Joe and perhaps read about more of his previous life and how he ended up living where he was, perhaps the relationships he had in more detail.

Although these were addressed I would have liked that to have been a full length novel as I really felt connected to him and Digby.

This is a nice short story and worth a read if it is free. I would suggest this is too short to justify purchasing it, however this may encourage you to pre order/buy Henry's new novel. Overall I would give this 3.5*


No comments:

Post a Comment