Thursday 12 May 2016

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Ten Ten by Gretchen McNeil
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Possess author Gretchen McNeil comes this teen horror novel inspired by Agatha Christie s And Then There Were None. Perfect for fans of Christopher Pike s Chain Letter and Lois Duncan s I Know What You Did Last Summer, Ten will keep readers on the edge of their seats until the very last page!

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie are looking forward to two days of boys, booze, and fun-filled luxury. But what starts out as fun turns twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine. And things only get worse from there.

With a storm raging outside, the teens are cut off from the outside world . . . so when a mysterious killer begins picking them off one by one, there s no escape. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on one another, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?




After going to see 'And then there were none' at the theatre I was obsessed with this and wanted other adaptations to watch and read. On the BBC over Christmas they put on their own version of this which I enjoyed watching, I then found Ten. I was so excited with this, what could possibly be better? It is also a YA so I was really looking forward to this. Unfortunately I think my expectations were too high and although I finished the book, it was just O.K.

Ten is about a group of students, who get invited to a party on an island for the weekend. All of the people couldn't wait to get there as it sounded like it was going to be the weekend of their lives, and it was going to be, but not for the reasons they thought. Everyone has a reason for being there and although they don't know everyone, they each know a couple of people.

Soon it becomes apparent that their host is not going to show up and things start to happen in the house, beginning with a DVD that they stumble upon.

Like I said before this book was O.K, it passed a few evenings but I thought it didn't live up to my expectations. I found it relativity slow initially and at one point I was questioning giving up with the book. I am glad I stuck with it, as it did get a little better, however I didn't care for any of the characters and I thought I knew very little of them. I guess that's the point of the story and we weren't meant to know much about them. I did find this difficult to get into though and this could be why I found it such a struggle initially.

I did like the fact I hadn't worked out the killer, and around the 150 page mark the novel picked up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment