Sunday 11 October 2015

Jackie Kabler Guest Post


Today I have been lucky enough to have Jackie Kabler stop by at The Book Corner to share with you a guest post and promote her new novel ' The Dead Dog Day.'


Guest Post - Writing around the world..!

When I first started writing my debut novel, I could only really write in one place - at home, in my little dressing room/office. To be honest, that's still where most of my writing is done. But with deadlines and a rapidly approaching publication date, over the past year I've been forced to expand my writing horizons a little and do it on the move too, otherwise my very lovely editor at Accent Press might not have been quite so lovely to me! Hence, parts of my book The Dead Dog Day were written in some very random places indeed.


The first "out of the office" section was written in one of the most beautiful spots in the world - on a shady terrace outside our hotel room in the Maldives in January. where I gazed out at the Indian Ocean in between paragraphs. (I was also typing with one hand at this point, after an accident and subsequent arm surgery, but that's another story...) In May, the laptop came with me for a long weekend at Lake Garda in Italy, and another terrace, this time overlooking the calm waters of the lake. Thankfully, I have a very tolerant husband who was always happy to head off for a couple of hours of solo swimming or cycling while his wife got down to work.


The well-travelled little computer also joined me on a trip to Japan a few weeks ago. My sister lives there, and while sight-seeing and catching up took up all my time while actually there, the two very long flights were ideal for writing sessions - I managed to get 3,000 words done each way.


In between trips, my trusty laptop has also been with me for many less glamorous nights in London hotels. I live in Gloucestershire, work in London and work shifts, so often stay over to maximise sleep time. Hence, many a Premier Inn, Ibis and Holiday Inn bedroom has seen me hunched over its desk, tapping away at my keyboard.


I suppose if you really want to write then, you can write anywhere. I wonder where book two will take me?




About Jackie Kabler


She worked as a newspaper reporter and then in television news for twenty years, including nearly a decade on GMTV. She later appeared on BBC and ITV news, presented a property show for Sky, hosted sports shows on Setanta Sports News and worked as a media trainer for the Armed Forces. She is now a presenter on shopping channel QVC and her first novel, The Dead Dog Day, is now available for pre-order on Amazon ahead of its release on 22nd October.

No comments:

Post a Comment