Tuesday 12 August 2014

Summer Feature 2014 by Sam Everett Guest Post


Sam Everett has stopped by at The Book Corner to share with us her summer reads! Thanks for participating in the Summer Feature Sam! 

Last year I went with my family to Florida for 3 weeks, we went to just about every theme park and our days were pretty hectic needless to say by the time I went to bed in the evening I was far too tired to read. In fact over the entire 3 weeks I managed about 40 pages of the book I was reading but I plan to correct that this year and read lots

So this year I have 2 weeks off work, the first week is at home and will most likely include a couple of day trips into London as I want to see some of the Books About Town benches plus possibly a trip to the Tower of London. Then the second week will be spent on Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour, I’m actually getting to live in a castle for a week! I have been informed by my husband that there is no WiFi on the island and that 3G is a little hit and miss, to me that sounds bliss as I will be able to spend time reading , to my 3 teenage children that doesn’t sound so good.

As we are travelling to the island in a little boat I need to watch the weight of my luggage so I will be relying on my Kindle for my reading needs, all I need to do is make sure it is fully charged and I’m ready to go. I am planning to read the following books during my 2 weeks off, they are in no particular order and I have quite a variety as I like to read different genres depending on my mood.

1. Return To Mandalay by Rosanna Ley

This is the only paperback I intend to read during those 2 weeks purely because the cover is so damn strokeable. Have you seen it? It is one of the most gorgeous covers I have seen & Red Online call it ‘A gorgeous, mouth –watering dream of a holiday read!’ It sounds like THE perfect Summer read plus I have chosen it for my reading groups August read. I just need to make sure that I restrain from starting it before my holiday



2. The Far Side Of The Sun by Kate Furnivall
I just love Kate’s books. I discovered her with my reading group a few years ago when we read The White Pearl so I was very excited to see that her latest book was coming out on the 14th August just in time for my holiday. How wonderful of her to release ‘The Far Side Of The Sun’ with my holiday in mind J Again this book has the most stunning cover unfortunately it will be on my Kindle so I will not be able to stroke it. This is a murder mystery set in the Bahamas in 1943, this sounds like my perfect book as it combines my love of historical fiction and mystery.


3. No Safe House by Linwood Barclay

I discovered Linwood Barclay when his debut book No Time For Goodbye won Richard & Judy’s Summer Read back in 2008. His books are fast paced , gripping page turners and are written to be devoured.This book is the sequel and I received an ARC on it a while ago but I have been very patient and have been saving it for my holiday. Only 3 more weeks to go!



4. A Week In Paris by Rachel Hore

I’ve been lucky enough to get an ARC of this book as it isn’t out until October. Rachel writes such beautiful books that take you away to another time and place. This one is described as A captivating story of love, courage and survival set in wartime Paris and the early 1960s.

And guess what? It has a pretty cover!



5. Fly Away by Kristin Hannah


This is the sequel to Firefly Lane which was one of the most emotional books that I have ever read. I have had Fly Away on my Kindle for a while but because of the emotional mess that the first book left me, I’ve put off reading it until I can sit back, relax and be swept up in the world of Tully Hart again and to see how she is coping with the loss of her best friend.



6. The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri

This is another reading group pick. Shortlisted for the Man Booker in 2013 and this year’s Baileys Prize I have been really looking forward to reading this one. Described as Two brothers bound by tragedy; a fiercely brilliant woman haunted by her past; a country torn by revolution this book is set in India and I love reading books where I learn a little about other cultures



7. The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton

This book is the heavy weight of my bunch, thank goodness I have it on Kindle. This is another reading group pick (I belong to 3) and we have been given 2 months to read it due to its size. The Man Booker Prize winner 2013 & it seems to have very mixed reviews, I just hope that I am one of the ones who likes it.



8. What Would Mary Berry Do? by Claire Sandy

Whilst on Brownsea Island I will be enjoying afternoon tea everyday so this book just seemed like the perfect one to take. I may even read it whilst I am enjoying my scones and clotted cream. And the cover really is good enough to eat.



9. Pelican Point by Donna Kauffman

I have never read anything by this author before and this book has been neglected on my Kindle for far too long. It is the first in the Bachelors of Blueberry Cove series, set in a small town in Maine with romance and a lighthouse what more could a girl want whilst lounging on a beach on a very small island.


10. A Killing In the Hills by Julia Keller

And finally I intend to read the first in the Bell Elkins series. I love a good crime series and this one looks to fit the bill. Another book that has been on my Kindle for far too long. As I said I love a good crime series especially if it has a strong female character and even more so if one of my favourite authors Karin Slaughter says ‘ A rare talent and a must read’


I would like to thank Sam again for wanting to participate in this feature. You can find her on twitter and go check out her blog

No comments:

Post a Comment