Monday 21 April 2014

Precious Thing - Colette McBeth


Precious ThingPrecious Thing by Colette McBeth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

'Remember the person you sat next to on your first day at school? Still your best friend? Or disappeared from your life for good?

Some friendships fizzle out. Rachel and Clara promised theirs would last for ever.

They met when Rachel was the new girl in class and Clara was the friend everyone wanted. Now in their late twenties Rachel has everything while Clara's life is spiralling further out of control. Then Clara vanishes.

Imagine discovering something about your oldest friend that forces you to question everything you've shared together. The truth is always there. But only if you choose to see it.'




When I had the opportunity to read and review this book I jumped at the chance after hearing so many great recommendations and the blurb sounded really promising.

The story is about Rachel and Clara, they have been the best of friends since school. One night Clara goes missing and Rachel must find her. Not only for her job as a news correspondent but as her best friend.

The story is written in the style of a long letter to Clara, this I found extremely hard to follow and did not enjoy this style of writing.I think if it had been written in a different style it may have been easier to follow and more enjoyable. It also jumped from memories in the past to the present, this was something I also found difficult with in the book as it would take me ages to work out if we were in the past or in the present.

I found the book to be a real slog, and it didn't flow very well. This is unfortunate as I haven't read a book that has made me feel like this for a very long time. I love psychological thrillers, however this didn't push the buttons for me.

Unfortunately I couldn't connect to any of the characters and cared for them very little, this is a shame as it made it harder for me to enjoy.

I was hoping for a real page turner when this turned up and I was so excited to read it, however I felt let down and left feeling flat.

I don't like to write a negative review on any book as the author has taken time to write it and it is their work and it's better than anything I could write! However this book just wasn't for me.

Saying this, this is only my opinion and as others out there have shown with their reviews, they have enjoyed the book very much.

I would like to thank the publisher for supplying me with this copy in exchange for a honest review.

Book Trailer:


Buy your copy from thebookdepository.com

No comments:

Post a Comment