Thursday 5 December 2013

The Evil Beneath - A.J. Waines

The Evil BeneathThe Evil Beneath by A.J. Waines
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

'There's a body in the water - and she's wearing your clothes...

Impulsive and intrepid psychotherapist, Juliet Grey, can’t resist responding to an anonymous text message telling her to go to Hammersmith Bridge at dawn. 

But it isn’t simply the dead body in the water that disturbs her, it’s the way something uniquely personal to Juliet has been left on the corpse. 

Another obscure message - another London bridge - and Juliet finds herself caught up with a serial killer, who leaves personal mementos instead of collecting trophies. Teaming up with local detective, DCI Brad Madison, Juliet strives to find out why she has been targeted and how it’s connected to the accident that killed her brother, nineteen years ago. 


Can Juliet use her knowledge of the human psyche to get inside the mind of the killer, before another body is found under a bridge? And how long before Juliet herself becomes the next target?'





When Alison contacted me and offered me her book to review, I thought it sounded like something I would enjoy.

This book is written in the first person by the main character Juliet, she is a psychotherapist and works at an abortion clinic as well as a freelancer. She has been living in London a while when women are suddenly discovered murdered and for some reason they have a link with her. Meanwhile Juliet is struggling with her own life, something in her past with her brother is not right, and Juliet won't stop until she finds out the truth.

I thought the story was very good and everything came together well towards the end. I felt that at parts during the book it seemed there was a bit of repetition, with thoughts and going over things that had previously happened. I understand why the author has done this as to help create tension in the book. I found it a very easy book to get into and once I began reading it I quickly found myself immersed in the book.

I found it a good thriller and did not suspect the killer at all, I thought that this was kept hidden from the reader until the perfect time. My mind did play tricks on me, when I was trying to guess who the killer was, but not once did I make the connection. I think this is an excellent debut novel by Alison and after her great first novel, I would certainly be keen to read future novels by her.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves crime and thriller books. I would like to thank the author for sending me this copy to review.

1 comment: